Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Let it go.

Carolyn Hax is my guru. She is the wisest advice columnist I follow - and I follow them all.

She advises to not expect people to behave well. Let go of that expectation, and it won't bother you when they don't behave in a manner that's suitable for a reasonable human being.

I was fuming for 20 minutes today because I gave a friendly, confident "Hello" to the guy who mans the welcome desk at work who I pass every morning, and he just stared and ignored. I felt like an asshole. To add insult to injury, he then said "Hello" and started chatting to the person behind me. I don't usually say "Hello" to him because he replies rarely at best. Very welcoming, ya know? But lately, we've been on a "Hello" basis. And today....this.

Why did I let it bother me and give it the power to ruin the beginning of my day? That's madness to give something so stupid such power.

And then the smiling face of Hax appeared in my vision like the angelic spirit of Emily Post. "Lower those expectations - let go of any expectations - and you will be given the gift of being pleasantly surprised when people do act in a courteous, considerate, human manner."

This will help greatly in grocery stores where I often become apoplectic when inconsiderate, un-thoughtful folk leave their carts willy-nilly or in the middle of the aisle.

No comments:

Post a Comment